Friday, November 28, 2008

Almost three months in

So, I've been in Albania for almost three months now and I really haven't been updating my blog at all. I know you're all waiting for something...right? Please tell me you're still interested! Well, even if you aren't here's what has been going on in my neck of the woods:

After five weeks in Tirana for a quick and dirty Pre Service Training in everything Albania, I was sent out to my permanent site. I'm in Ksamil, about two miles from the Greek island of Corfu. Its beautiful. Its also super tiny. Especially now, in the winter. There are all kinds of cafes, restaurants, shops, etc., but they're not open now. I can't wait until the warm weather hits to see what my little village is really like. Hopefully I will have lots of visitors. (hint, hint). I really love showing people around Ksamil. Living there everyday, I tend to take the beauty of the place for granted.

Right now, I'm teaching high school in the village's only school. Its pretty tiny, but those kids are a handful. They're keeping me busy for sure. I am enjoying it and learning a ton about Albanian culture and the education system.

What is really hindering me right now is my complete and utter failure at learning the Albanian language. Well, I wouldn't call it a complete and utter failure exactly...I mean, I can get around, travel and buy what I need to...but polite conversation is challenging at best. I just started tutoring sessions twice a week, so things should be coming along.

I'm writing this blog from Tirana, I'm here for Thanksgiving, which was great. It was wonderful to see the other Georgian volunteers again and more of the other Albanian volunteers...oh, and American food was nice too.

I guess those are all the essential updates for now. I'll try to update this blog more often...maybe, if you're lucky, I'll even include some interesting and perhaps humorous anecdotes. I'm always making a fool of myself here...I'm sure everyone in Ksamil thinks I'm insane. Oh, and maybe put up some pictures. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

auron said...

hi there

I am sorry to hear that you think Ksamil is a beautiful place. Ksamil is possibly the worst case of illigal buildings, destruction of enviromant and everything else.

auron tare

Cjallo said...

Auron,
While you are right that Ksamil, like its big sister city Sarande, is becoming overrun with hideous, illegal buildings, I think its admirable that Meghan can find the beauty in Albanian life and her community.

Courtney

auron said...

well, there is nothing wrong in finding beauty in her community. However I am afraid many foreigner do give false impresions on issues that they should be more honest and critical about it.

I know Ksamil and its community well and there is a lot of beauty in some of the people there, however what is going there is unspeakble

auron

Meghan said...

Auron,

Thanks for your comments. I would love to discuss all things Ksamil and Butrint with you. If you have a free moment, please shoot me an e-mail.

mdean8282@gmail.com

-Meghan